When I started work at Norwich, we had some subject-focused pages with extremely out-of-date lists of Internet resources. These were out-of-date because the subject librarians didn’t have any access to the web server or any HTML skills. With a budget of $0 I was looking for a free and easy-to-maintain tool that allowed individuals with no web design skills to create web content. After evaluating a number of options (this was before blog platforms had the CMS features they do today), I went with MediaWiki, which I was familiar with from my development of Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki.
I installed MediaWiki and skinned it so that it did not look like a wiki on the end-user side. I then trained our librarians on how to create and edit content using wiki markup. My colleagues really took to using the wiki, and soon we had a significant amount of content on the site.
At the time that the wiki was developed, I wrote a blog post explaining our strategy.